Fontbonne, established in 1947, is named for Mother St. John Fontbonne, foundress of the Sisters of St. Joseph, the sponsoring congregation of St. John Hospital & Medical Center. The organization is made up of dynamic, energetic people from all walks of life. Membership is open to anyone who wants to be part of the solution to the staggering health care challenges in our community.
Through the years, the Auxiliary has donated millions of dollars to aid St. John Hospital & Medical Center in meeting the health care needs of our neighbors. Money is raised through such annual events as the Fashion Show and the White Christmas Ball, as well as proceeds from the “Le Fontbonne Gift Shoppe”. Fontbonne’s contributions to the hospital have purchased much needed equipment to help save lives; we have helped expand a program for the deaf and hearing impaired; we have contributed to the growth of St. John’s world-class cardiac care programs; we have contributed to the development of the Van Elslander Cancer Center and the establishment of the Sr. Verenice McQuade Endowment for Cancer Research; in short, we have assisted St. John in becoming one of the leading care providers in the region.
Fontbonne operates under the leadership of its Officers and Board of Directors, but relies on the active participation of its members to ensure the success of the numerous projects and events.
Fontbonne members make an immeasurable difference in the lives of others through their hard work and team efforts. In working together for the common good, they enjoy the camaraderie of dedicated, caring people. “Friend-raising” is as much a part of Fontbonne as fund-raising.